Thursday, December 13, 2007

Lexi-Comp

One of the more popular drug databases is Lexi-Drugs. I have used this one several times throughout my time as a pharmacy student at Iowa, so I know my way around it a little bit. There are others that I like using more (Clinical Pharmacology), but it is definitely better than some others. Lexi-Comp says that its products "develop superior drug information to support medication safety." The database includes a lot of information, although most of it is also included in other comparable databases. Some of the information includes dosing by route and population, indications, specific renal and hepatic warnings, and special FDA warnings as well as any black box warnings which may exist. Additionally, it contains a program for identifying drug interactions. I do not like the interactions checker as well as the one found in Clinical Pharmacology, but Lexi-Comp's is not too difficult to use. Lexi-Comp also includes an area that is labeled as "Clinical Pearls." Just as the name implies, that feature contains bits of information that health care professionals would find especially useful. Overall, I think Lexi-Comp does a nice job, and I would rate it in the middle of the pack when it comes to databases.

No comments: